Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on the new land purchased for the YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, along Massasoit Lake in Springfield, Massachusetts. Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction on the building in September of 1894 and it was formally opened on October 26, 1894. The original gymnasium, known today as East Gymnasium, was where James Naismith taught classes and coached the school’s basketball team however it is not the gymnasium where basketball was invented.
A handwritten caption on the back of this image reads, "East Gym. See 1895-96 Physical Dept. Circular for full description". The photograph appears on page four of the pamphlet; Series were added to this collection, changing the file name. File names of the uploaded files contain the old name;
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.