Beginning around 1911, a power plant was temporarily placed south of what is now called East Gymnasium on the Springfield College campus. It was used to heat Judd Gymnasia and the Administration Building as well as to furnish power for ventilating and electricity for all of the school buildings. The temporary plant cost about $10,000 to work. However the Power Plant Committee wanted to move it near the shore of the lake on the south end of campus, and connect it to the newly proposed library building. At a cost of about $40,0000, it was believed that this would supply the entire property with heating, ventilating, lighting, and water.
In April 1914, the Geo H. McClean Company, a group of heating and ventilating contractors, agreed to furnish and deliver services for a complete system of steam piping. During the summer months of 1914, the temporary power plant was taken apart. The new structure was finished by September 1914. Today, the Power Plant is still located behind Alumni Hall on the shore of the lake and it is still working to provide heat to the campus of Springfield College.
Sticker on front of photograph says: #33 Boiler Room side facing North
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.