Herbert L. Pratt donated the necessary funds for the construction of Pratt Field. The athletic grounds originally consisted of a quarter mile track, a 220-yard straightaway, eleven jumping pits, space for weight throwing, seven tennis courts, a football field, and a baseball diamond. An eight-foot-high reinforced concrete fence surrounded the field. The entrances were designed by Edward Lippincourt Tilton, who also designed Judd Gymnasia and the Marsh Memorial Building. The field formally opened in the fall of 1910, in connection with a football game, but the grandstand was not built until 1911. The grandstand could seat 1,200 people and contained storage rooms, a massage room, a dressing room, showers, lockers, bathrooms, a ticket office, and a check room. Both the grandstand and Pratt Field were built by the Fred T. Ley Company. Before the construction, the college’s outdoor athletics were confined to a six-acre field south of the gymnasium and fourteen acres north of Alden Street. For more information, see Elmer Berry's "The Pratt Athletic Field" (The Association Seminar, vol. 19 no. 9, June 1911).
According to a sticker on the fame, this is #95 in a series.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.