In the 1890s, Gulick built a three story, 16 room house on what is now the parking area for Babson Library. Gulick designed the house himself, paying $4,100 for the construction and $200 for the grading of the property following construction. In May of 1900, when he left Springfield College, Gulick offered the house and property to the school for $4,000. Gulick’s offer was turned down and the house was sold to Walter Beebe in 1904.
In 1913, the School’s trustees authorized President Laurence Locke Doggett to rent the house from Beebe for $35.00 per month. Because of the extensive repairs needed, an agreement was reached with Walter Beebe for the College to purchase the property for $5,000. President Doggett resided in the house from 1914 through 1936, when he retired. In 1947 the building was renovated for use as the Student Union. It remained a Student Union until the completion of the Beveridge Center in 1959.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.