The Laurence L Doggett Memorial house, the President’s residence and Springfield College’s own White House, was completed on September 1, 1958. The two-story, 10-room, colonial-style home was located on the lakeside of Alden Street, east of present day Gulick Hall. The $55,000 project was designed to serve the needs of the college as well as the needs of the president and his family. The building was named after Dr. Laurence Locke Doggett, Springfield College’s first full-time president, who served as president for years (1896-1936) and changed the face and fate of the college during his tenure. The house served as the family home to SC presidents; including Olds, Locklin, and Falcone, until the 1990’s when it was used as the college’s Admissions Office.
With the arrival of the 12th president of Springfield College, Dr. Richard B. Flynn, the school, the new president, and the Board of Trustees felt that Springfield College was the type of institution in which the president ought to live on campus. So, in March 2002, Doggett Memorial, now showing its age, was demolished to make way for a new President’s residence completed in spring 2003.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.