On May 25, 1912 excavation began for Springfield College’s Marsh Memorial Library. The building was dedicated on October 18, 1913 with William Howard Taft, the 27th President of the United States, as the featured speaker. The library was named after Edward Williams Marsh, who donated over half of the required funds. The new library was designed in the gothic style, with red brick and brownstone and terra cotta trimmings laid in red cement. In 1971, Babson Library replaced Marsh Memorial. The building was renovated for use as a chapel and to house the President’s Office, the Office of Academic Affairs, and the Department of Public Safety.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.