Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on the land purchased for Springfield College along Massasoit Lake. Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction in September of 1894, and it formally opened on October 26, 1894. The original gymnasium was where James Naismith taught classes and coached the school’s basketball team; however, it is not the gymnasium where basketball was invented.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.