Sullivan (class of 1902) was from Fitchburg, Massachusetts, and played on the school’s lawn hockey team. His senior thesis was titled, “Physical Exercise for Boys.” This image is believed to have been taken at Gerrish Grove, a tract of land along the shore of Massasoit Lake. In 1906, Mr. Gerrish of Springfield donated twenty acres to Springfield College. This gift, known as Gerrish Grove, was covered with white pines and deciduous trees, easy to reach by boat, and was once used for camping and athletic purposes. Springfield College held the freshmen camp here until a fire in 1930. After this event, the school built the Pueblo of the Seven Fires on what is now known as East Campus.
A facsimile of this image was found with an SC number (SC18896) and a note saying that it was scanned from a glass negative. However, no glass negative can be found and the facsimile is identical to the lantern slide. We do not know whether the facsimile was made from the lantern slide or from a glass negative that is now missing. The SC file was not large enough to justify keeping and was discarded in January 2014.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.