Morrissey and Shea’s Corporation completed construction in September 1894, and the gym was formally opened on October 26, 1894. This gymnasium was where James Naismith taught classes and coached the school’s basketball team, but not the building where he invented basketball. In 1910, the school's trustees authorized the addition of a second gymnasium and swimming pool. Lawn hockey was introduced to the YMCA Training School by Dr. McCurdy in the fall of 1896, and after a season of play, the English rules were adopted. As of 1903, Springfield College was the only institution in the country to play the English game. For more information on lawn hockey rules, see “The Games of Lawn Hockey, Tether Ball, Golf-croquet, Hand Tennis, Volley Ball, Hand Polo, Wicket Polo, Laws of Badminton, Drawing Room Hockey, Garden Hockey,” published by the American Sports Publishing Company (New York, New York) in 1903.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.