Before the construction of Pratt Field, the college’s outdoor athletics were confined to a single field lying south of the gymnasium. This area had become inadequate for their needs, and so the college began considering ways and means of providing a new field. On December 3, 1909, the committee had plans drawn for a track, football field, baseball diamond, and six tennis courts. They planned for the courts to have cement bottoms that could be flooded in winter and converted into a large ice rink for hockey. They also decided to erect an eight-foot concrete fence around the property, one of the first of its kind ever built. The entire cost, including a grandstand, was estimated at ten thousand dollars. On March 18, 1910, Herbert L. Pratt offered to donate the entire amount. The field formally opened in the fall of 1910, in connection with a football game. The International YMCA College is known today as Springfield College.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.