David Allen Reed was a co-founder and the first president of the school. Henry S. Lee was the second president, serving from 1891 to 1893. Charles Henry Barrows served as president from 1894 to 1896 and Laurence L. Doggett served as the college's fourth and longest running president to date, from 1896 until 1936. From 1881 until 1890 the college was known as the School for Christian Workers, and, in 1890, the name was changed to the International Young Men's Christian Association Training School at Springfield, Mass.. In 1912 the name was changed to the International YMCA College and in 1953, the name Springfield College was officially adopted.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.