In March 1958, the partial demolition of Woods Hall and groundbreaking for the Beveridge Center, or BC as it was known to the campus community, began. The Beveridge Center replaced the old campus student union and was built as a place where students, faculty, and administration could gather in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The building was adjacent to Woods Hall. The BC had a snack bar as well as two informal dining areas called the “Infield” and the “Dugout.” There was an air conditioned game room with billiards, and ping-pong tables. On the main floor of the building was a comfortable furnished lounge and information desk. A room called Moses Hall was located on the second floor, and was used for events like movies, dances, and banquets. Other facilities found in the BC were a faculty lounge, radio station, the newspaper and yearbook offices, meeting and conference rooms, a meditation chapel, and the college post office. In 2008 the Beveridge Center was renovated and included in the design of the current student union, the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union which was dedicated on February 4, 2010.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.