Massasoit Hall was completed and opened for residents in September 1959. At the time it was built, the dormitory remained undedicated and simply known as “South Hall” because of its location just south of Alumni Hall. The dormitory was the first of a tri-pod of Resident Halls built between 1955 and 1960. On April 22nd, 1961, the Hall was to be named Dr. Allen Reed Hall, but on June 10th 1961, the college decided that the last dorm in the cultivation of this tri-pod should be named after the College’s founder, and so it was decided that South Hall be named Massasoit Hall, after the lake that it sits on.
Massasoit Hall originally functioned as an all-male dormitory, but in 1969 it was the first dormitory to change from a single sex hall to a co-educational dormitory. Separate floors were designated for men and women. Today Massasoit Hall houses freshmen students retaining its new and modern spirit with the many new first years residing in it each fall.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.