Hickory Street, now gone and replaced with Naismith Green, splits the campus. Woods Hall was erected on May 23, 1904 and dedicated on September 28 of that same year as a social and dining hall on campus. Eleanor S. Woods, a member of the Merriam family (Webster’s dictionary) donated $18,000 for the project having recognized the need for greater social opportunities for the students of the Training School. The central feature of Woods Hall was a dining room which could accommodate 125 or more guests. The first floor of the building also contained a parlor while the second floor was designated for dorm rooms. The building was renovated a number of times throughout its existence. During the summer of 1951 Woods Hall was completely revamped to accommodate the incoming freshman women, Springfield College’s first co-ed class. The faculty dining room, lobby, conference room and main dining hall were covered with bright tile flooring and an acoustic ceiling was built as well as modern recessed lighting. The most significant renovation occurred in 1961 at which time the building received a complete facelift leaving it unrecognizable as the original Woods Hall. In 2008, Woods Hall was demolished to make way for the construction of the Richard B. Flynn Campus Union which was dedicated on February 4, 2010.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.