Judd Gymnasia was the first building erected on campus, with what is known as the East Gymnasium being formally opened on October 26, 1894. The new gymnasium, commonly known as West Gymnasium, began construction in 1910, with McCurdy Natatorium (on the back of the building behind the tower) being dedicated in 1913. The final two floor of the central tower were not added until 1926. Along with the new gymnasium, Tilton also designed Marsh Memorial Library. It is not known at this time whether McCurdy Natatorium was also designed by Tilton.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.