Only a year after the first women’s dormitory, Abbey Hall, was completed, the college estimated that by 1953 there would be more women than would fit in it. Springfield College was concerned with the safety of its women students and, along with parents, objected to them living in private homes, remote from campus, as was the custom for the men to do.
In June of 1953, a proposal was made to build an extension to Abbey Hall. The extension was referred to as West Hall. The final cost of the West Hall was $255,000 and it housed 108 women. The building was completed in March of 1956, but was not dedicated and named Appleton Hall until June 12th, 1965. On this date the building was named after its main benefactor Leirion H. Appleton, who donated to the building’s construction in memory of her husband Edward A. Appleton, former President of the Corporation of Springfield. Mrs. Appleton had remained an anonymous benefactress to Springfield College for over a decade and because of her modesty and desire for anonymity, the building was known only as West Hall until 1965 when Mrs. Appleton prevailed to allow the dormitory to be named in honor of her husband.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.