On June 10th, 1950, Springfield College voted to inaugurate a regular undergraduate program for women, ending its status as an all men's school since its founding in 1885. On July 20th, 1950 the ground breaking ceremony was held for a new women’s dormitory. Emily F. Abbey Gill, who donated the funds for the dormitory project, served as a member of the college corporation, but died on April 24th, 1950. After her death, the college suggested that the new dormitory be named Abbey Hall in honor of her dream of a women’s program at Springfield. The corner stone was laid on January 18th 1951 and in September of that year Abbey Hall was ready for occupancy. The formal dedication took place on May 9th, 1952, after the building was fully furnished and the interior decoration was completed. Today Abbey-Appleton Hall is a co-educational dormitory.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.