The new building was dedicated on October 18, 1913 with William Howard Taft, the 27th President of the United States, serving as the featured speaker. The library was named Marsh Memorial after the late Edward Williams Marsh of Bridgeport, Connecticut who gave $40,600 of the $80,000 required for the erection of the library. He died just before its completion. The new library was of Gothic design, with red brick with brownstone and terra cotta trimmings laid in red cement. It was approximately 72 feet front by 117 feet deep, and consisted of two stories as well as a basement.
Marsh Memorial served as the College’s library until the opening of Babson Library in 1971. After Babson Library was opened, Marsh Memorial was renovated for other uses. A chapel was developed in the large room in Marsh which already contained stained glass windows. Marsh is still used for religious purposes today, offering regular worship services for members of the college. Other offices the building houses are the President’s office, the Office of Academic Affairs, and the Department of Public Safety.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.