The Washington Gladden Boathouse, on the shore of Lake Massasoit and the bottom of Rally Hill, was completed on March 19, 1901. At the request of Frank Beebe, who donated the materials for the boathouse, the structure was named after Reverend Washington Gladden. Plans for the boathouse were prepared by J. Claude Armstrong (class of 1903), a master carpenter was secured, and Frank N. Seerley was chosen to lead the construction. At the request of the student workers, two weeks of the academic year were set aside to build the boathouse, starting the long-standing Springfield College tradition of students volunteering on school projects. The boathouse project is believed to be Springfield College's first “Work Day,” which has since evolved into “Humanics in Action.” The completed building was two-stories and fifty-three feet by twenty-nine feet. The boathouse was dedicated on June 18, 1902, during commencement. The Boathouse served for about forty years as the College’s center for aquatics instruction.
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.