The Natatorium is a part of Judd Gymnasia which was the first building erected on the new land purchased for the YMCA Training School, now Springfield College, along Massasoit Lake in Springfield, Massachusetts. East Gymnasium, the first section of Judd Gymnasia, was completed in September 1894 and officially dedicated that October. In 1910, trustees authorized the addition of a second gymnasium and swimming pool. The McCurdy Natatorium, a gift of Standard Oil President Herbert Pratt, who requested the pool be named after physical education department head Dr. McCurdy, was completed in April 1913. It was closed on March 18, 1968 and the swimming pool was replaced by Linkletter Natatorium. The Natatorium was remodeled and has served as a dance studio, weight room, the college bookstore and finally, in the spring of 2011, as the Springfield College History Museum which also includes the YMCA Hall of Fame.
This slide is part of an unnumbered collection of lantern slides depicting areas and activities in and around the Springfield, Mass. campus of the YMCA College. The caption written in the margin of this slide reads: "McCurdy Natatorium 1912".
Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.