|Previous||1 of 12||Next|
small (250x250 max)
medium (500x500 max)
large ( > 500x500)
PHYSICAL , EDUCATION. VOL. IV. JULY, 1895. NO.5. THE POSSE GYMNASIUM. The Posse Gymnasium was opened in February, 1890, and from a small nucleus has grown into a typical normal school of gymnastics. The school has three departments: (a) (Pedagogical for the training of teachers; b) Educational for the physical educ<ltion of year's course in this school or not. The characteristics of the school are: 1. The school has always stood for gym¬nastics as a liberal art, a universal truth, a cosmopolitan science, which• admits of no restricting epithets of :nationality: it insists that gymnastics must be the same all over the world; that there is only one system, that of rational, educational, gymnastics; and that FREE STANDING EXERCISES. men, women and children; and (c) Medico¬gymnastic for the treatment of diseases and training of medical gymnasts (masseurs.) The normal course, which includes the course in medical gymnastics, is two years, and there is an opportunity for a third-year post-graduate course. Only high school graduates or higher, are admitted to the course; and those who can pass examinations in anatomy, physiology, general and special kinesiology, and prove a fair degree of skill in practical gymnastics may enter the senior class, whether they have attended the first the day is near when all teachers alike will teach that" system" with only such 'changes as their individuality or that of their pupils enforce. In other words, gymnastics is one, a science as any other. I ts basis is human nature as it is; its aim is human nature as it should be. II. Spontaneity and individuality are leading qualities to be cultivated in the pupils-whether normal, practice, or thera¬peutic-for man must first of all be himself. to think his own thoughts, to do his own deeds. For that reason all the work, whether theoretical or practical~ is absolutely free
|Title||Physical Education, July, 1895|
|Description||Physical Education was first published as The Triangle by the students in the Physical Department of the Y.M.C.A. Training School in February 1891. By June, 1891, the monthly journal was published by the Triangle Publishing Company, located at ‘Corner State and Sherman Streets’, for 10 months each year, subscription price at $1.00 per year or 15 cents per copy, and a circulation of 1,000 copies per month. Dr. Luther Gulick served as President, James Naismith, editor, and F. N. Seerley, Business Manager. The game of Basketball was introduced in the Triangle in the January 15, 1892 edition (Vol. 1, No. 10, p. 144-147) in a four-page article written by James Naismith and included the original 13 rules. Contributing authors included notables in the field such as H. Kallenberg, R. Tait McKenzie, and Amos Alonzo Stagg, E. Hitchcock, Amy Morriss Homans, Dudley Sargent, and William Anderson. The magazine had editorials, book reviews, ‘unobjectionable’ advertisements, and articles about baseball, football, gymnastics, volleyball, exercise, ethics of sport, changes in the official basketball rules, physical training for those with disabilities, physical education for women, and influential figures. By March 1892, the name of the journal was changed from Triangle to Physical Education. The last issue was published in July 1896.|
|Publisher||The Triangle Publishing Company|
|Subject||Physical Education; Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA); Basketball; Football; Gymnastics; ethics of sport; Gymnasiums; health; fitness; exercise;|
|Rights||Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law.|
PHYSICAL , EDUCATION.
VOL. IV. JULY, 1895. NO.5.
THE POSSE GYMNASIUM.
The Posse Gymnasium was opened in February, 1890, and from a small nucleus has grown into a typical normal school of gymnastics.
The school has three departments: (a) (Pedagogical for the training of teachers; b) Educational for the physical educ|